Monday, August 13, 2007

Third Topic: Fairy Tale

OK, time to get going on topic number three. I had been hoping that Kim would join us before the cycle came back around. I sent her another invite, so maybe she'll sign up.

But since it's just us for now, it's my turn again. I want to try a much broader topic this time, just to show that topics don't have to be a paragraph-plus long concept. So this month, it's Fairy Tale. Do whatever you want with it, but if you'd like a little more guidance, here are a few suggestions:

- Fairly straight forward retelling of a fairy tale
- Story from the perspective of a different or new character
- Fairy tale in a new setting
- A story that uses or examines the convenions of a fairy tale

As usual, you may feel free to ignore these suggestions and do whatever you want with the theme.

3 comments:

trekker9er said...

Lol, is it cheating to post a character history I wrote just last night (the night before the topic was up) that's about a half-fairy? I kid you not, it starts with:

"Fairy tales are for humans. And they know nothing of the truth. But if you must know, here is a real story."

I don't see anything in the rules about using things you've written previously. Should we add something about that? Something like work written previously is okay to use so long as the writer adds something new to the piece?

Sara said...

I did notice you had started that right before i posted the topis, but it was something I'd had in mind for a whie. If you want to work on it and you feel it fits the topis, then sure. I could certainly imagine some stories involving fairies that really had nothing to do with fairy tales, but what matters is your take on the theme.

That's probably a good rule to add. Shall we say that at least half of the text must be new or substansially rewritten from the original? Of course, no one is actually going to work that out, but it's a good rough guideline, as much new stuff as there is stuff from the old piece.

I was also wondering if you want to start inviting new people to join. Kim is still welcome if she comes, but it doesn't look like that's happening just yet and I think it would be more interesting if we got a few more writers involved. It's fine if we don't, but it does give us more output and more feedback. I don't want to completely open the floodgates yet; we'd only be asking people you or I know and consider to be good writers. Maybe down the line sometime, we can set up guidelines for people we don't know joining.

What do you think?

trekker9er said...

About 1/2 being new or drastically rewritten is a good guideline I think, though I might say 1/3 is more realistic.

I would like to get another writer or two in. However I can't think of anyone who I'd want here that I also know has the ability to be a part of it - whether that's mindset, writing capability, or actual time to sit down and write. Do you have any suggestions?